Songwriting Tools and Tricks - Lyrics and Melody $350 - (Next class in Fall)
- Nine weeks. Two parts. Meets once a week. Limited to 10 students. (Bonus, free 45 minute private session.)
- Class starts via a pre-recorded video sent by Feb20th with pre-class homework due Feb 25th (first Zoom meeting is Feb 27th.)
- Part One Zoom Meetings: Monday Feb 27-Mar 20, 4:30 - 6 pm pt.
- Part Two Zoom Meetings: Monday Apr 3-Apr 24, 4:30 - 6 pm pt.
The class has it's own passwords protected website with video lectures for you to watch and pages to read, including homework assignments due before each live workshop class. Both the in class and homework assignments will help you learn the concepts. We will focus on a new tool each week while reviewing what you have already learned.
Along with the homework, there will be live in-class weekly workshops where you can share lyrics and play the songs you are working on and get professional feedback from me and ideas from your peers.
I will also help you understand how the music and lyrics flow together, why listening to yourself speak is important, and how to create more meaningful melodies.
- Brainstorm ideas, organize words, come up with a hook or a clear message for your chorus, refrain or title.
- Write metaphors.
- Do a song outline that not only organizes the song, but builds your message and leads the listener.
- Find more interesting words to express your ideas.
- Build phrases into sections: verses, choruses, and bridges. What each part does and why.
- Create effective contrast between sections and enhance the emotional intent of your lyrics.
- Use different types of rhymes, rhythms and line lengths to enhance your message.
- Make sure the words and music match in what they say and how they fit together with the melody.
- Find who you are so you can write authentically you in any genre.
- Get past roadblocks and create music that reflects your true intent
- Most importantly, how to listen to yourself speak to find you own authentic "voice."
- Bonus: in your free private session, you can learn how to sing the lyrics more effectively, the nuances of dynamics, texture. emphasis, inflection, vocal style and embellishments.
Age Range - Adults / Skill Level - Any level.
Or Venmo me $350
Video about the class website
Videos snips from the class workshops